Are you a start-up, small business or established company developing medical technologies to improve patient outcomes and reduce costs to the NHS? You may have identified a real day-to-day problem, and developed a great product to address it, but without clinical evidence obtained within our health system, it’s impossible to demonstrate the value of your proposition. And without evidence, NHS buyers and NICE have nothing to evaluate, so progress is stalled. Sound familiar?
In response to this need, Wessex Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) and Wessex Clinical Research Network (CRN) Industry teams have joined forces to create a new Technology Support Programme (TSP), which will help commercial innovators gather NHS evidence on their products, and help get effective innovations to patients faster.
To be eligible for the TSP:
- you will be a UK registered company
- the innovation of interest will be at a late/final stage of product development.
The TSP targets specific clinical themes in rounds:
- Round 1
: Innovative Rapid Diagnostic Testing and Point-of-Care Testing for Infectious Diseases (closed)
- Round 2
: Innovative Diagnostic or Monitoring tools for Reproductive and Women's Health
- Round 3: Technology enabled Mental Care and Mental ill Health Prevention (closed)
- Round 4: Management solutions for Urological disorders (closed)
- Round 5
: Diagnostic and Monitoring Technologies in Cardiology
- Round 6
: Targeted population solutions for improved Diabetes control (opens 22 July, closing 23 September 2019)
The TSP is in four parts:
- Completion of an online application.
- Applications will be scored by Wessex AHSN and CRN, and a shortlist of companies will be selected.
- All selected companies will be invited to present their innovation to an expert panel at a TSP workshop. All presenters will get expert feedback and advice and, where appropriate, signposting to other opportunities.
- The panel will then select a maximum of three companies to join the TSP. Companies will be informed of the panel’s decision within five working days of the workshop.
5. The selected company will benefit from a committed NHS research collaboration and study support through to trial delivery.
The approved companies will then be part of the TSP and will benefit from the following offer:
- Engagement with a TSP theme-expert Clinical Lead who will guide and support the development of the clinical study.
- A fully funded associate will co-design the clinical study proposal, support ethics approval, prepare timelines and cost templates, and liaise with the chief investigator.
- A fully-funded bid specialist will help identify sources of grant funding, and will support the revision of funding applications.
- Once funding is secured, a clinical study will be initiated, recruitment managed within the NIHR by the Clinical Research Network (CRN) Wessex, and results evaluated, shared and published in a timely manner.