What was delivered in 2020-21?
Early Intervention in Eating Disorders
This national programme is supporting mental health teams across England to speed up the diagnosis and treatment of eating disorders in young people.
The FREED model
is an evidence-based, specialist care package for 16 to 25-year-olds with a first episode eating disorder of less than three years.
- We have supported local teams to secure £70,000 of funding from NHS England and Improvement to support with implementation of the model.
- We have been working with Kent Surrey Sussex and Oxford AHSNs, setting up a community of practice group to support areas implementing the model across the South East.
Focus ADHD programme
This national programme is assisting mental health trusts and community paediatric services to improve the assessment process for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
by supporting the implementation of an objective assessment tool, to supplement current clinical assessment processes.
Research has shown that the use of an objective assessment tool alongside other clinical information, can provide a more rapid diagnosis, fewer patient visits, and improved patient, family, and clinician experience.
- We have supported partnership working across the South East, implementing a Community of Practice group, with colleagues from Kent Surrey Sussex and Oxford AHSNs, bringing together providers and clinicians with an interest in improving ADHD services.
- Worked with commissioners and clinicians to understand how the test could impact on current pathways.
- We have worked with the South East Learning Disabilities and Autism Network, securing £12,500 to support the development of the programme.
Mental Health Innovation Support Programme
This local programme is funded by the Office for Life Sciences. It supports local systems and innovators with activities that assist in the development of innovation in mental health. We have spent over 1,500 hours working to support local systems and innovators during the year.
- We are networked with our colleagues across all 15 AHSNs, enabling us to understand and learn about what is working elsewhere.
- We have delivered a comprehensive evaluation of S12 Solutions (an app and website that helps mental health professionals efficiently complete Mental Health Act assessments) and produced an accompanying implementation support guide.
- We have worked with a number of innovators, understanding where they are in their innovation journey, and where appropriate, offering tailored support to help in their development.